Thursday, July 12, 2007

Five questions with Will Leitch of Deadspin.com

When it comes to sports bloggers Will Leitch is pretty much the best show in town right now. His website deadspin.com offers "Sports news without access, favor, or discretion" and attracts over 1 million visitors each week. Will was the editor of the Daily Illini in college and has since written for The Sporting News and the New York Times. Will has also published two books- Catch and Life as a Loser. His upcoming book God Save the Fan is set for release in January. Today he took some time out of his busy schedule to answer 5 questions for salukihoops.com.


Will, you are a U of I alum and big time Illini fan. Would you like to see U of I play against SIU and do you think it will ever happen?

I would love to see it ... but I wouldn't hold your breath. Illinois really has nothing to gain from that game and everything to lose. Man, I'd be stoked to see that in the tournament sometime though. Unless, of course, the Illini lost.

In your upcoming book God Save the Fan you talk about how the fans of the game are the last people thought about when teams and leagues make decisions. Do you see this as more of a problem in professional sports or has the problem invaded college sports as well?

I think it's more obvious in pro sports, because there's more money involved, but it's definitely true in college sports as well. I do think the real victims in college sports are the athletes, though. But yeah: It's important that fans remember that they are the ones paying for all this, and that they are in charge.

Being from Mattoon, Illinois, have you ever been down to Carbondale or watched a Saluki game at SIU Arena?

I've been to Carbondale several times, though I've never actually made it down for a game. I think a third of my high school went to SIU. It was more of a party school when I was in college, though I think ya'll can probably still hold your own.

Your blog deadspin.com has become a major source of actual "sports news" for millions of readers. Do you think the sports blog world will eventually get more respect from the major media outlets?

Well, eventually it will because all the major media outlets will be doing blogs. But "independent media?" Nope. They'll never respect it. They've never respected alt-weeklys; they will always be scared, in my opinion, of what they cannot control.

From your perspective how has the perception of "Mid-Major" basketball changed in the past few years, specifically that of the Missouri Valley Conference?

It's just a financial term anymore; I would have taken the top four teams in the MVC over the top four teams in the Big Ten last year, without question. And it gives me no joy to say that.

Thanks Will and good luck with your book!