Thursday, November 23, 2006

No Pointing Fingers

Alright, so my projection of a 10 point win was a touch ambitious, but didn't you think that it was time to start carving the turkey when the score was 52-47 with about two minutes to play? I'm sure that most of you probably caught the game on ESPN and I think we can all agree that Arkansas was very beatable.

This was the first I've time I've seen the Salukis this season and I think that they looked a lot like last year. They still lack a dependable #1 option on offense and they don't have the height to match-up with teams from BCS conferences.

On the positive side of the equation, the defense is possibly more suffocating than last year and ... it's early. I would have liked to get a big win for the resume, the program and the fans, but I loved the effort and there's no reason to point fingers. On to Minnesota...

The Golden Gophers are projected as a middle of the pack Big Ten squad looking to build a tournament resume. They are led by Lawrence McKenzie, a 6'1" junior transfer from Oklahoma and a noted perimeter threat. Also, watch out for Dan Coleman, a 6'9" junior who can put it on the floor and take it off the boards. Both, Coleman and McKenzie are double digit producers.

This is a winnable game. No predictions. All business. Tip-off at 11:30 AM on ESPN 2. Go Dawgs.

Update: Charter Cable in Centralia and the old spice website are saying that this game will be at 9:30 am CST. The SIU website is saying 11:30 CST. Tune in early tomorrow just in case.

1 comment:

Dad said...

I would like to point a few fingers. How about the entire offense except Tatum and Shaw. At this point I do consider Tatum as a true #1 option and he is capable of scoring 20 points every night. However, his partner in crime Tony Young was sleepwalking most of the day and Brian Mullins needs to stop and pop every now and then when hes open.

Overall, I was happy with the effort that was given. Most days in the valley that effort will give us a win.

I am glad we are playing Minnesota instead of Marist. Knock off a big ten school and we are at least going to come out of this thing with a resume builder.